- visiting/talking with someone from that group
- watching authentic movies (or understanding what is true and not true in pretty good Native movies)
- listening to authentic music
- going to a museum that knows what it's doing
Once you have your background, then find a way to give it to students
- "mini lecture"
- video clip (there are many on Youtube)
- book (by a First Nations author)
- giving "Indian names" - you wouldn't give "confirmation names" out of context
- to remember that our spirituality, and accompanying cultural traditions, are akin to someone else's religious traditions, often done in the context of a church, temple, or synagogue.
Tell kids the "rules" as I have done above
Do the activity in a respectful way