This blog was added to the Top 50 Native American Literature Blogs. Scroll down to the "Rest of the Best" after the Top 5

Sunday, October 27, 2013

I Am Not A Costume (Thoughts on Halloween and "Dress Up")

Yesterday, I went with kids to get costumes.  
I saw the stereotypical "Indian," among other things.  It's a problem that these exist and that folks choose to dress up as another culture, in a stereotypical way, particularly an oppressed group with very few positive, accurate images.  Here is a great "open letter" by someone who makes important points on the topic - it's a long read, but well worth the effort to gain understanding: http://nativeappropriations.com/2013/10/open-letter-to-the-pocahotties-the-annotated-version.html

11 Offensive "Latina" Costumes You Shouldn't Wear This Halloween
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/fashion/news/a32349/offensive-latina-costumes/?utm_content=buffer21e31&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

An Open Letter to the PocaHotties and Indian Warriors this Halloween
http://www.racialicious.com/2011/10/31/open-letter-to-the-pocahotties-and-indian-warriors-this-halloween/
I was going to write you an eloquent and well-reasoned post today about all the reasons why it’s not ok to dress up as a Native person for Halloween–talk about the history of “playing Indian” in our country, point to the dangers of stereotyping and placing of Native peoples as mythical, historical creatures, give you some articles to read, hope that I could change your mind by dazzling you with my wit and reason–but I can’t. I can’t, because I know you won’t listen, and I’m getting so tired of trying to get through to you.