This blog was added to the Top 50 Native American Literature Blogs. Scroll down to the "Rest of the Best" after the Top 5

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sports Mascot Letter, 2008 by CFT

Dear Sports Administrator,

I'm not sure to whom to direct this request. This was the email address I found on your site. Apologies if it is misdirected, I hope you can forward it to the correct person. I'm disappointed to see that the team names of Braves and Indians are still being borrowed from Major League to be used as Little League team names. Their accompanying racist logos which are put on the team shirts and caps are a problem as well. Many national sports leagues and colleges are moving towards changing these stereotypical names and symbols which has long been associated with Native Americans.

As a Native American, I respectfully request that my daughter and son not be placed on a Little League team which borrows its name from the Braves or the Indians.

Thank you,
Claudia